1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I got a full-time job. I co-signed a lease on a flat. I finished my first novel. I subjected myself to repeated thought explosions, resulting in subtle but important changes in the way I think and feel and react to the world around me.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
In all honesty, I don’t remember what my resolutions were. I probably failed at some, half-succeeded at others. I’ll make more for 2013 and then the same thing will happen again!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nobody I see on a regular basis.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I don’t think I even left the province this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Travel, work that inspires me, travel, creative fulfillment and affirmation of my abilities through some small success or recognition, and travel. Oh, and also travel.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
7 December: Linkin Park. 🙂 Others too, but I’m too lazy to think about this.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my Masters degree in creative writing and getting a job.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Doubting myself, giving up on my creative abilities for many months and allowing myself to get depressed about it. Still working on this.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got sick a lot and took antibiotics too many times. Other health stuff: I went off the pill (which massively reduced my headaches), I went on Roaccutane again (which worked, but now appears to be relapsing slightly, much to my dismay), I had my wisdom teeth removed (which was successful and without incident), I got my glasses upgraded (which was expensive but necessary), and I got a dental plate for my TMJ problems (which has had no impact whatsoever).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A ticket to Linkin Park! 😀
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Many people, but especially Kasha, who handled loads of difficult things while also managing the complicated process of a solo-emigration.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
People on the internet. Actually just people in general.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Living expenses and medical stuff.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving out of our old flat, having an income, going to see Linkin Park.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
It’s not a song from 2012, but anyway: M83 – Outro.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
(a) Sometimes happier, sometimes sadder. (b) Round about the same. (c) Richer, but with more expenses.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Messing around on the internet, like I’m doing right now.
20. How will you spend Christmas?
With my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Was already in love and I still am.
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
Game of Thrones.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
People on the internet.
24. What was the best book you read?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmm. Not sure.
26. What did you want and get?
A new home, and a job.
27. What did you want and not get?
Inspiration. Creative fulfillment.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Cloud Atlas. (Yep. Book and film. Amazing.)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went for a walk on the beach with a few of my friends. I was very hungover at the time. (It wasn’t *on* my birthday, but it was *for* my birthday.) I turned 24.
30. What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had written something that I was really proud of and felt like it might have the potential to be published one day.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Whatever’s on top of the pile. Jeans and t-shirts and Tomy takkies, mostly.
32. What kept you sane?
Luc and the Internet. (Both sometimes have the opposite effect, however. :P)
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ben Whishaw. ^_^
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh gosh. So many issues. Anything that was unfair to people based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc etc stirred me a lot. As a result of my thought explosions (see #1), I’ve become more vocal about my feminism and other things this year.
35. Who did you miss?
Tally (who I thankfully got to see a few times!) and Kasha (since she left for the UK).
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I’d have to say my work colleagues. They’re an interesting bunch. 🙂
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Everything must be interrogated, even if it’s uncomfortable to do so. We’re all pre-loaded with thoughts and feelings and opinions that need to be broken down, bit by painful bit.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle,
Some nights, I wish they’d just fall off.
-Fun, Some Nights.
[Q&A courtesy of Jess at Skyscrapers & Skylines.]